Tuesday, March 11, 2014

1 year into my sister lock journey


     Wow! I can't believe it's been a year since I got my sisterlocks installed . This journey with sisterlocks has been awesome. I would not change anything about it. There are many things that I've enjoyed about having sisterlocks. I've enjoyed the freedom that comes with embracing the sisterlocks lifestyle. For one,  it saves me time when getting ready. When I get up in the morning, I spritz my hair with water and keep it moving. Besides the sisterlocks starter shampoo and the Natural Wonders Fresh Hair dry scalp and dandruff mist, I have not purchased a single hair care product since my sisterlocks were installed.. I use to be a product junkie, so not buying hair care products has really saved me money. I enjoy not having to run indoors when it's raining. I really like being able to lay down and not have the back of my hair matted to my head like it would often do when I wore an afro. When I travel, the only items I have to pack for my travels are ponytail holders, my spray bottle, and my sleeping bonnet. Now that's liberating! I get my hair retightened every 6 weeks. With five hundred and ninety sisterlocks you would think that this would be an all day process, but it's not. The shortest time it has taken to retighten my hair was 3 hours. The longest that it  has taken to retighten my hair has been 4 hours.   Either way, whether it was 3 hours or 4 hours, it still beats the many hours I used to spend getting my hair done at a beauty salon.
 A year into this journey,  and my locks are settling.  At about the ten month mark,  I no longer had to band my ends before washing my sisterlocks, and what a relief that was. In the beginning of the sisterlock journey, you have to braid sections of your hair in loose braids with rubber bands on the end to prevent to locks from slipping and/or unraveling.  Not that banding was bad,  but it felt so wonderful to wash my sisterlocks free of the banded ends. It also took about 20 minutes of my hair washing process. 
        So with one year under my belt,  and my locks settling in pretty well,  I have decided to begin trying new styles. Take a look at some pictures of my hair after I braided it. let it dry over night, and then took the braids out. I also so tried  rolling my hair on pipe cleaners... not sure how I felt about my first attempt, but my goodness, were those curls tight, That style lasted for about two weeks. I have received many request to update my blog with pictures of my hair. My next blog will simply be of photos I took during my first year on this sisterlocks  journey...stay tuned.
1-11-14 How do I look...lol?
1-11-14 Braids in, and ready for bed!
1-12-14 Braids out and ready for church!





2-8-14 Pipe Cleaners In

Pipe Cleaners Out Day 2-9-14

Pipe Cleaners 2/16/14= 8 DAYS Later

















































No comments:

Post a Comment